make*do*mend: Beginner Quilting - Whole Cloth Quilting with Season Evans Workshop - Sunday, June 25th - 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
One of the truest and most wonderful ways to seek solace and a sense of calm, hand quilting is the heart of how the communal spirit of quilting and patchwork came to be. Piecing by machine has its own level of gratification and solitude. Take that and then be social while quilting by hand. This workshop will teach techniques to get you started hand quilting with small stitches. Small stitching can add a lot of texture and depth to a quilt - and it can be quite relaxing and fun. We’ll go over frames, marking techniques, thread, thimble options, and needles. The class will be focused on understanding tools, techniques, and finding your rhythm. Learn to see hand quilting as a meditation, a process, and a fun, portable way to finish your projects.
During this class, you’ll be able to see how finishing a quilt actually works - from how to set up your backing, batting, and top. If those terms make your head spin right now, then it’s a perfect class since it will be done whole cloth.
Experience Level: All levels welcome
- quilt frame (student’s choice). Season uses a 14” wooden embroidery hoop but any portable hoop will work (you bring/purchase)
- quilt sandwich top (20” x 20”)
- light solid color (you bring/purchase)
- batting, preferably low loft cotton, cut to size (you bring/purchase)
- backing, cut to size (you bring/purchase)
- two (at least) thimbles (you bring/purchase)
- thread (highly recommend 28wt but any hand quilting thread will do. Pearl cotton and sashiko thread are too thick for small stitches.) Choose a color that contrasts with your quilt top fabric to better see your quilting progress. (you bring/purchase)
- basting safety pins (provided)
- needles Note: The smaller the needle the smaller, the smaller the stitch. Season recommend John James betweens. (provided)
- Hera marker provided)
*all materials available for purchase at Drygoods Design, including a 15% discount with proof of class registration
All classes at Drygoods Design require prepayment and registration. In some cases, day-of sign up is available. No refunds are offered for classes. Cancellations received 72 hours before the day of the class, will be able to redistribute their class fees to another class. Cancellations received less than 72 hours before the day of class or no-shows will forfeit their class fees. We are n guarantee the same class or session will be available for rescheduling.
****By submitting your order you agree to the above terms and conditions of classes at Drygoods Design.
*Please note that classes are subject to change or cancellation based on low attendance.